APRENDIENDO A CONOCERNOS: EL PROYECTO - GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER: THE PROJECT

Here we are, ready to celebrate the Europe Day 2010. GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER is a project aimed for students aged 12-18 from different countries. We would like to celebrate the Europe Day in an original way so we've thought about the following some different schools are needed for the project, and if possible from different countries. Each school should group students into ten teams according to their ages and topics. That day, schools should arrange the classrooms and time schedules so that each group can write about a topic in one hour. Previously, teachers should have taken photographs of each student (13x15 approx), in which just their faces are shown. On 9th May, the photographs should be handed out to the students , who are to write about the topic at the back. Photographs in each group should be kept in an envelope with the address of the group and country assigned to them so that we can build a spider web. When the activity finishes, a representative of each group will go to the post office accompanied by a teacher (It would be a good idea to take a picture of that moment so that we can publish it on the blog.) When the photos are received in each school, students can share the information given by their pen-pals and decorate the classrooms with the pictures. Topics: Me, my school, my town, my country, Europe (eldest students.) The project is based on ordinary mail, but we are following the process in a blog. Students mustn't write their names to keep privacy This project aims to encourage pupils in each country to examine their school community, the local area, their country and Europe. By comparing these ideas with the partners, pupils will be able to develop creativity as well as it will help them reach positive conclusions about their own lives and those in other cultures. We are looking for teachers of English (or other subjects) in other European countries in order to develop this project, in which our students will practise English and other languages.







OTRAS CARTAS - OTHER LETTERS

Hanna Kalamaja and Milosz Róžycki, who are language teachers in Poland, have sent us their students’ letters from Junior Secondary School nr 12 in Tychy Poland. They commented that they were extremely happy to be a part of the project and hoped we would like and enjoy their photos and essays and find them interesting. In fact we have enjoyed them a great deal and all of us want to meet them in the twinspace soon. Thanks.

Hi! My name is O. I live in Tychy. Tychy is a relatively large town that is located in Silesia, in southern Poland. In my town there live about 150 thousand people, lots of which are employed in two largest companies. These are Tyskie brewery and the FIAT AUTO POLAND. Tyskie beer has been manufactured for more than 500 years. Tyskie is an excellent beer that has won two Grand Prixs as the best beer in the world. Tyskie brewery is a sponsor of our local hockey team GKS Tychy. The other important company is an Automobile Group Fiat which produces the largest number of cars in Poland. The Fiat factory in Tychy has a monopoly on the production of a Fiat Panda across Europe. Moreover, Fiat produces a new Ford model. One of them was used in a James Bond Film. Tychy has plenty to offer as a place to live, work and develop here.

Yo! My name’s S. I’m sixteen years old and I live in Tychy in the south of Poland. My town is of average size and is inhabited by approximately 150 thousand people. Tychy is situated about 50 kilometers away from mountains and beautifully surrounded by thick forests. Therefore, it is easy to have a day off. Wandering along narrow paths and admiring wild animals and birds that are here in abundance. If you need to cool off you can swim in Porprocomy lake sail across or sail all day long :).
Do you want to let your hair down? No problem! Tychy offers a lot of discos, parks and clubs to entertain. Moreover, there is a huge indoor swimming pool, a winter skate stadium and a football one as well. Have a girlfriend and desire to show off? Take her to a modern cinema and a bowling alley or our up-to-date art gallery!
Tychy is a busy town in even busier Silesian agglomeration. Thanks to fast communication, it is easy to get to other cities of the region or visit Czech friends that live about 70 kilometres away from us! I like living here and I’m proud of my being a small part of Europe :).

Hello, I’m O. and I’m sixteen years old. I live in a beautiful town, Tychy. Tychy is neither big nor small and has about 150 thousand inhabitants. It is situated in the south of Poland nearby Polish mountains but about 600 kilometres from the polish sea- Baltic.

Tychy is a fascinating place to live and study, but I’d like to tell you something about its two important sports centres thanks to which we can keep fit and take care of our precious health.
Tychy is inhabited by active people, mostly young ones, so the first place of great importance to us is the municipal swimming pool. It consists of two huge pools, numerous Jacuzzis, waterslides and lounges. The visitors to the place can successfully relax in the gyms, fitness clubs and beauty rooms as well. If they get hungry, however, they can simply have some drinks, snacks or meals in a restaurant on the first floor, One can never get bored in this place, which is extremely crowded at weekends.
The second place which is crucial to keep fit is an indoor ice ring- Tychy’s winter sports centre. Anyone who wants to have some fun is welcome here. This is a home to the best hockey team GKS Tychy we take pride in. The centre is open a whole year for ordinary people keen on skating and sliding with friends. The ice ring (that has been renovated recently) was a broadcast centre for this year Vancouver Olympic Games.
For those who don’t want to swim or skate Tychy offers multiple cycling lanes. They snake through parks and forests my town is encircled by! Tychy is green and full of life and positive energy. Come and find out!

Hi! My name’s D. I’d like to tell you something about entertainment in my town Tychy that is situated in the south of Poland.
In Tychy there are a lot of places to let your hair down: plenty of discos, pubs, clubs for young people, bowling alleys and cinemas. There is even a theatre that we visit at least once a year for school workshops.
Tychy’s got a lake as well. The Poprocany lake is situated in the south of Tychy. The lake side has been designed for sport and relaxation lovers. In the area there is a guarded beach and various sports facilities: volleyball, football, basketball and ground tennis courts and pitches. If you feel that water is your element you can easily rent sailing equipment as well: kayaks or water bikes. The Poprocany lake offers campsite to sizzle sausages with friends or family and a beautiful jetty to sunbathe.
Tychy hold also an important event called “Onityskie” once a year. It takes place in Ciratte Square and it’s one of the biggest entertainment events in Tychy. There are plenty of attractions for children such as fairground band stands, games and plays. For teens and adults concerts are organised as well as exhibitions of exclusive cars.
Tychy is an unusual place worth visiting!



Some students have sent us their postcards and greetings from Latvia. They say they are happy to take part in the project “Getting to know each other” they hope to get acquainted with their new friend in Europe. You can read some of their letters below.



Hello. My name’s S. I am 13 years old. I live in a small village, Ziguri. Ziguri is a green village. We have a lot of forests around our village. In my school there are around 80 students. In my class there are 11 students. I have blue eyes and brown hair. I am a slim girl. I don’t like school but I like volleyball, basketball and music. I have a brother. I like eating chocolate very much I like my village a lot.

My name is E. I live in Latvia, in Latgale, in the eastern part of Latvia, in the small village Ziguri.I go to Ziguri Primary School. I don’t like writing, I like to fix stuff. I have fixed my VCR recorder and DVD recorder. I like to ride my bike. I have a dog named Remix, who likes to eat socks and chew our boots. I study French language. I know English language rather well. I also like to sleep in the morning. In holiday mornings I like to run cross. I like to swim. I like to watch films. Bye!

Hello. My name is L. I am fifteen years old and learn in Ziguri Primary School, Latvia. I don’t like to learn but I like to go to school because I like meeting my friends and spend time with them. I live in the small village Ziguri, but soon I will finish form 9 and I will pass exams and finish primary school.
I also learn in Vilakas music schools, I play the piano and the guitar.I like to play the guitar, listening to music, sleeping, reading some books, like “Twilight” and other “Twilight” I like to play the guitar, listening to music, sleeping, reading some books, like “Twilight” and other “Twilight” series books. I like watching films, some new and other ones, but my favorite films are Twilight series books films “Twilight”, “New Moon” and soon coming “Eclipse”. I am Twilight fan. Also I like surfing on the Net. Good Bye :).
We also get a letter from France. Hello France!!!

Hello, My name is A., I am 16 years old and I study selling techniques. I’m sociable with people, I am nice. My school is called LPP les Cordeliers. My school has several classes 3eme DP6 Trade, secretarial, accounting. There are 250 people in my college.
I live in Scionzier. It is an industrial area where the factories specialize in the machine tooling. They produce little metal parts to build planes, medical products etc. The Etwinning project is interesting because it makes us learn to write and understand English and we can meet other European students. And if one day we took a trip, the person could help us find the right places to go.


Slovakia



Lelá is situated in the south of Slovakia.Lelá is situated on the back of the river Spel. There live about 360 people.
There are some public places. There is a pub next to the grocer’s. In front of the grocer’s there is a telephone box. The community house is behind the telephone box. In front of the community house there is the town hall and the kindergarten. The bus stop is next to the kindergarten. Lelá has got a big catholic church. There is a big wood. This wood isn’t polluted and here wild animals and birds live. The river is near the wood. Countryside is hilly, charming and clean. People are friendly and hardworking. People know each other and they are helpful.
I like my hometown very much, because the countryside’s hilly and my family and friends live here.